Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Eagle Has Landed

Late on 29th September 2011, me and my wife Ya-Wen landed in Taoyuan airport ready to begin our new life together in her home country. The first thing I noticed was the rain and the sudden temperature increase as we alighted the plane and walked into the airport!

Having now been here for a couple of days, it is starting to really sink in that I have moved here and I need to do something, find a job and be someone. Although going through University and even my PGCE was demanding and complex, I think beginning real, full-time work is actually the most challenging thing to come to terms with.

I have a job interview on 4th October 2011, but I am not feeling too positive about it since I received an email asking me to complete a form that was in Chinese. Do they think I know Chinese?? I will find out soon enough. For now, all I can say is that the next few months are going to be no easy feat for me, but as always, I am ready to face the challenge...



2 comments:

  1. Couldn't have been that much hotter, it was 28C here in England yesterday (unbelievable). Probably more humid were you are. They have some fantastic thunderstorms out that way.

    As for the job, I'm sure they know you're not fluent in Chinese (yet), unless you put that on your CV. If there are no jobs going for English software developers you can teach English to children to get you by. I know someone else who went to Taiwan and he managed to score a job teaching English to children. He didn't even have a PGCE unlike you.

    Enjoy yourself out there. I will check this blog weekly to find out your latest escapades.

    -- Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was especially hot when I left the UK, but the plane uses very strong air conditioning so really the last temperature I felt before feeling the air in Taiwan was about 18-20.

    I will do my best in the interview and have brushed up on some C++ essentials. If it falls through I can look for a teaching job as there are loads about here for me. You never mentioned you knew someone who went to live in Taiwan before?? :)

    Thanks for commenting mate. Keep safe, keep in touch and I will update regularly!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete