Friday, October 7, 2011

Earthquakes and Typhoons

When I were a lad (not so long ago) I used to think typhoons were like tornadoes in the sea that engulfed whole cities that were near the sea. I also used to think ALL earthquakes were deadly and they would (ALL) be so powerful that people would be thrown across the room.

Since I found Taiwan, I have learned otherwise. I was reminded of the earthquake fact at around 3am this morning when we had a small earthquake that gently shook our bed for approximately 30 seconds. It was so weak that it almost felt as if it wasn't really happening. Even though me and my wife could feel it and knew it was. In one word, I would describe it as eerie.

I am by no means hoping I will ever feel a 'real' earthquake. But like most people, I am very interested in them and other natural disasters. Here is a picture of the aftermath of an earthquake that shook Taiwan in 1999 and killed over 200 people.


Typhoons can be equally as deadly. In this next image, over 700 people were feared dead after a mudslide in Kaoh caused by typhoon Marakot.


Note to self: avoid playing with mother nature...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment